Wednesday, April 13, 2011

ahh...long time

So, it's been a loooonnnnggg time since I decided to blog...and even longer since I've actually blogged anything! Life in my house has changed...I officially have two little boys. I live in the land of make-believe monsters, i.e. Darth Booger, and sword fights...and for the most part, I LOVE it. I started working more hours at my part-time job, which has been an experiment, for the most part. My kids miss me and I cut back on my hours again; besides, now with baseball and soccer and activities, it's nearly impossible to maintain any kind of regular schedule. My big boy, who I'm now calling Thing 1, is super active and SUPER excited because today is daddy's birthday. He desperately wants to help me make the birthday cake, which, is also an experiment (most things in my house are). I'm trying to make a mint-chocolate chip ice cream cake...it's not going well. I can cook. Well. I am bad at cakes and stuff. This isn't any better because it includes ice-cream. Currently, I have a cake base with soup-like ice-cream sitting on top of it re-freezing because I didn't let the cake cool enough (apparently) and a very upset kindergartener that wants to help desperately and doesn't get that the ice-cream has to become ICE cream again before we can do anything with it.
My little one is partially at fault for this fiasco. Thing 2 was ABSOLUTELY a force to be reckoned with today! He woke up grumpy, which is unusual for my normally sunshiny, happy, little man. But, nonetheless, he woke up grumpy...pissy even. And it hasn't improved. I thought a change of scenery might help, so we went to the grocery store to buy what I needed for the cake, and pick up some Rx at the pharmacy. It started with him flirting with the girl at the pharmacy like he usually does, which was encouraging...and then it spiraled downhill at a pace that I still can't wrap my head around. I don't know what went wrong or why, but, things were flying out of the cart, Thing 2 was climbing out of the cart, throwing himself around, screaming and whining. Sooo...I paid for the few items I NEEDED, aborted the remainder of my shopping and high-tailed it out of there, only to do what any sensible person would do (please note my sarcasm here!)...I took him out to lunch with some friends. And not, to a fast-food place where they could run amok in a plastic jungle and scream like barbarians...no....I'm not that smart. We went to a decent local pizzeria where local businessfolk like to have normal lunches. My child was the only one that refused to behave. There was no sitting, there was no eating (for either of us), it was pure chaos. This time I took the hint and we came home. I decided to start the cake, and get him down for a nap. In retrospect, I should've tackled one of these at a time and not in tandem. But, I'm a glutton for punishment. Got the chocolate cake mixed and in the oven and then TRIED to get him to nap. There was much crying, drawer emptying, flailing, etc...and alas, no nap. Conceding defeat (and needing to deal with the whole cake thing), he came downstairs and tried to help me, which resulting in a not-so-cool cake being used as a base for ice-cream and has ended with a soupy mess in my freezer. Here's to hoping it turns out okay, or at least tastes okay. I am committing to blogging more...this is my new resolve. I need to do this for my sanity...and I want to start reviewing products, but, in order to do it, I have to blog more.

No comments:

Post a Comment